Coming in February- “Views of Brazil” Photo Exhibit by Photographer Victoria Navin – Opening Reception- Thursday, February 15 from 2 to 4 pm
ARTIST STATEMENT – VICTORIA NAVIN
A self-taught photographer, I am interested primarily in landscape and natural phenomena. For inspiration, I usually look to trees, rocks and boulders, bodies of water and roofscapes. VIEWS OF BRAZIL offers 23 photographs from an August 2017 trip to Brazil, in which I visited Manaus, the Amazon, Brasilia, Salvador, Rio de Janeiro and Foz do Iguacu. I find inspiration in the lines, planes, spaces, and texture in various natural and manmade structures.
I am also interested in monumental architecture as well as the smaller details that define a location as unique, such as doors, windows, balconies and streetscapes.
Previous exhibits include: BUILDING SITES: CREATIVE VISIONS, Hagaman Memorial Library, July 2017; GLIMPSES OF GUATEMALA, Hagaman Memorial Library, January 2017; ABSTRACT REALITIES (Group Show), Connecticut Hospice, Branford, CT, September 2016; ATLANTIC AND SOUTHESTERN ROCKS, New Haven Free Public Library, April 2015; WONDERS OF PORTUGAL, New Haven Free Public Library, April 2014 and TREES OF LIFE, Wallingford Public Library, December 2013.
Currently a resident of New Haven, CT, I have also lived in Brooklyn, NY, Washington, DC and Madrid, Spain. I am a graduate of Albertus Magnus College and hold master’s degrees from New York University, Georgetown University and Pratt Institute.
I am a retired librarian who enjoys travel, and have recently visited Brazil, Portugal, Thailand, Laos, Panama and Guatemala. I am the mother of two adult daughters not wanted by the FBI and the grandmother of little Mila.
Below: Victoria Navin’s photograph of an apartment house in Manaus, Brazil- scroll down for listing of photos
VIEWS OF BRAZIL
PHOTOGRAPHS BY VICTORIA NAVIN
- Sunrise over Copacabana Beach, Rio de Janeiro
- Copacabana Beach at Dusk, Rio de Janeiro
- Waves at Dusk, Copacabana Beach, Rio de Janeiro
- Apartment Building, Manaus
- Flooded Forest 1, Amazon
- Flooded Forest no. 2, Amazon
- Church Tower at Dusk, Salvador
- Roofscape, Purple Building, Salvador
- Sao Pedro o Lavrador Church with Fountain, Salvador
- Square featuring St. Francis Church, Salvador
- Monastery with Courtyard and Tiles, Salvador
- Pink House, Salvador
- Colorful Buildings no. 1, Salvador
- Colorful Buildings no. 2, Salvador
- Roofscape with Golden Tiles, Salvador
- Composition in Ocher, Salvador
- View from a Window, Salvador
- Victory of Color, Salvador
- Sleeping Movement, Salvador
- Almost Paris! Street Scene, Salvador
- Waterfalls, Foz do Iguacu
- Waterfalls with Rainbow, Foz do Iguacu
- Reflection of Sky in Water: A Day of Creation, Salvador
All photographs are printed on archival paper; they are
available for sale. To inquire, contact Johnes Ruta at