East Haven Historical Books and Documents Online or Available at the Library
East Haven Historical Books and Documents Online or Available at the Library
Below is a general five page guide to some of the materials in the archival collection- the underlined items in this guide are not links, however below this are articles with links that you may click on for viewing
Books and Documents Available on the Internet
The following books and historical documents found in red are available on the Internet
D Part 1. A history of EH 1644-1800. Part II. Names, marriages,births of families which first settled or have resided in EH 1644-1800. (Some printings have parts II and III only called “the appendix.”) Part III Deaths 1647- 1823. Genealogies of the families of East Haven. In relation to the death register “The present place of burial in East Haven was sequestered for the purpose in 1707. Previous to that time, some of the dead were buried on the west side of the Green; but they were generally carried to New Haven.”
A history of the Village and Town of East Haven, Connecticut from the First Land Grant of Land in 1644 to 1873 by William Daniel Havens (only available in the library)
This is part one and part two of the first volume of a currently unpublished document. The document was abridged and edited from the original by former Town Historian, Paul H. Stevens in 1965. The multi-volume set has not been placed on the Internet but is available for viewing in hard copy at the Hagaman Library.
History of East Haven by Sarah Hughes
Morehouse & Taylor Press, New Haven, Conn., 1908
The Evolution of an Old New England Church: being the History of the Old Stone Church in East Haven Connecticut by Harry Kelso
Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor Company, New Haven, Conn., 1924.
East Haven Documents Pertaining to The Town of East Haven
East Haven Today- Watch it Grow is a 1928 promotional publication for area businesses. It is to be noted because of the historical information which is presented here such as information on buildings, businesses and organizations no longer in existence. Instances are the Button Ball Tree Inn which still on Park Place, the Quality Pastry & Delicatessen Shop which stood on 291-293 Main Street and the Elm Filling Station which stood at Main and Elm Street. Notable too, are the historic sketches it contains on East Haven, and The Old Stone Church. There is also information on The East Haven Civic Service Association citing the first president as Lottie Street, East Haven’s first Librarian. In addition the publication contains photographs of the First Selectman at the time, Robert H. Gerrish and Town Clerk, W.S. Coker as well as others. Also in the publication are photographs of Union School (built 1896), Laurel Street School (built 1925), Gerrish Avenue School (built 1917), Momauguin School (built 1922), South School (Built 1913), Foxon School (built 1891) and Highland School (built 1917). The publication also reveals an interesting note on the library- Horace E. Clark & Son were the roofers of the slate tiles covering the building.
Below is the hand written Journal of Comfort Prout – please note the Journal began on March 16, 1866 however, this was taken from a copy of the original and page numbers have been added for reference in compiling the pages. It may be noted that the first page of the Journal begins with p. 15. This is due to 14 pages of preliminary recorded information in the Journal from the before the beginning of the Journal. Much of this is financial dating to the end of the 1700s. Included in this material is page number 2-“Property of F. Ruel Andrews given to him by Mrs. Prout.”
Comfort Prout served as Sexton for the Old Stone Church. The office of sexton is one in which that officer of the church is responsible for the maintenance of the buildings and cemetery. He is a notable East Haven figure not only because of the journal which he kept, but also for his familiarity with many of East Haven’s citizens and his commendable work in the upkeep of the Old Stone Church and Old Cemetery.
Old Houses of East Haven – In progress!
Old Houses of East Haven, Connecticut was written and illustrated by Town Historian, Donald Victor Chidsey in 1934.
Old Houses of East Haven – The Jedediah Andrews House 1760 – History
Old Houses of East Haven – The Christopher Tuttle House 1786 – History
Old Houses of East Haven – The Old Hemingway Tavern 1773 – History
Old Houses of East Haven – The Samuel Bradley House – Photo
Old Houses of East Haven – The Joshua Austin House – Photo
Old Houses of East Haven – The Joshua Austin House History
Old Houses of East Haven – The Bela Farnham House – Photo
Old Houses of East Haven – The Bela Farnham House 1807 – History
Old Houses of East Haven – The Joseph Grannis House – Photo
Old Houses of East Haven – The Joseph Grannis House 1810 – History
Old Houses of East Haven – The Elnathan Street House – Photo
Old Houses of East Haven – The Elnathan Street House 1810 – History
Old Houses of East Haven – The Stephen Dodd House – Photo
Old Houses of East Haven – The Stephen Dodd House 1828 – History
Documents Pertaining to Slavery
Connected with the Amistad Slave Ship
Articles and Documents on Lake Saltonstall
Lake Saltonstall Its Surrounding and Attractions-1895 Pamphlet by George H. Townsend (Below)
Articles on The Old Mill
Articles on The Green
The Town Green Preservation Project is an effort by the East Haven
Garden Club to raise public awareness of the historical and
environmental importance of the Green and to provide funds for
its beautification. This brochure, (on the link below) which includes
a Self-Guided Walking Tour Map is your guide to discovering this
lovely public commons.
Articles from The Scrapbook of Lydia M. Chidsey Bradley Commenced in 1872
This scrapbook contains many articles pertaining to the East Haven and events as well as obituaries on East Haven individuals. The scrapbook begins with the typewritten page:
“H. Walter Chidsey’s Book, Compiled by his sister Lydia M. Chidsey Bradley.
Commenced in 1872. This book was given to Ivahlou Bradley Stone.”
H. Walter Chidsey was a prominent businessman in the grocery business in
New Haven, who on retirement worked on the development of the East Lawn Cemetery.
His obituary taken from the scrapbook can be seen below the link for the scrapbook along with several other Chidsey obituaries.
Information on Shepherd and Mansfield Groves
Information on the history of Hagaman Library
Photo- Miss Lottie Street, East Haven’s First Librarian
History of the East Haven Police Department
History of the East Haven Police Department by Mr. Anthony Mansi Posted with Mr. Mansi’s permission
Old East Haven Photographs
Five Little Boys Main St. Looking west from Kirkham Ave.(Eliza Thompson House on south side of Main St.)
Main Street from Kirkham Ave. 1907 (The house on the left was part of the Chidsey farmstead. The third building from the right was the Town Hall, the Thompson House is on the South side of Main Street
Laying of Trolley Track 1892 (This was for the first trolley from Fair Haven to Lake Saltonstall. The workman came from Ireland and Italy.)
Photos From the Archival Blog “A Closer Look” Series
This series of photos from the Hagaman Library’s Archival Blog 2012 entries shows and comments on some of East Haven’s older photos.
The Number One in the photo looks to be an advertisement for the Capitol Theatre and underneath that it states: “Free Parking.” On the right however can be seen: “Tea Co.” in what looks to be a separate sign. Could this have been an advertisement for the A & P market- the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company?
Number Two the sign over the door reads: “Rooms For Tourists” and under that “Meals Served.” Below that is a hanging sign that states: “Greyhurst Tourists Inn.” There is a sign in the window that states: Rooms.